Saturday, December 26, 2020

 The Winter's Tale by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare Project 2020

A tragic comedy: King Leontes' jealousy leads to the play's tragedy while laughter and "comedy" was sparse. There were disguises, a comical theft and a clown (but not a fool).

The whole "miracle" of the Queen's statue coming to life was a bit hokey. Though one interpretation was that Hermoine wasn't really dead. Hmmmm.


I.2. 
Leontes: "My wife's a hobby-horse..." woah now Leontes!


II.3.
Leontes (to Antigonus, Paulina's husband): "What, canst not rule her?"
Paulina: "From all dishonesty he can: in this, 
Unless he take the course that you have done - 
Commit me for committing honor - trust it,
he shall not rule me."
Antigonus: "La, you now, you hear!
When she will take the rein, I let her run;
But she'll not stumble."


The most famous and possibly most comical  stage direction (yet also disturbing as Antigonus is subsequently eaten by said bear)
III.3
Exit, pursued by a bear


IV.1
Time: "I, that please some, try all, both joy and terror
Of good and bad, that makes and unfolds error..."


No comments:

Post a Comment