Saturday, December 26, 2020

 Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare Project 2020

I really liked this final tragedy play. Possibly because I have had experience with false friends as Timon has.
He is surrounded by friends when he has the wealth to allow his generosity but when he endures financial distress his friends are nowhere to be found to help him. Understandably Timon becomes terribly bitter towards mankind.


I.2
Apemantus: "I should fear those that dance before me now
Would one day stamp upon me."


II.1.
Flavius: "Was to be so unwise to be so kind."


III.1.
Flaminius: "Has friendship such a faint and milky heart
It turns in less than two nights?"


III.2
Stranger: "O, see the monstrousness of man
When he looks out in an ungrateful shape!"


IV.2
Flavius: "Who would not wish to be from wealth exempt,
Since riches point to misery and contempt?"


IV.3
Timon: "Were I like thee, I'd throw away myself."


IV.3.
Apemantus: "The middle of humanity thou never knewest,
but the extremity of both ends."


No comments:

Post a Comment