Thursday, December 17, 2020

 King Henry V by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare Project 2020

Some of the most inspiring battle speeches ever written which led me to make a connection with another book I'm reading. The Splendid and the Vile by Erik Larson depicts Churchill's time as Prime Minister going into WWII.  Even though I'm early into the tome, the speeches of King Henry already reminded me of Churchill's optimism in the face of incredible odds - with France falling to the Germans; England would not be able to hold its own against an inevitable German invasion.


I also discovered that Churchill spoke with Laurence Olivier (producer, director, star) about the film of Henry V and its use as propaganda to boost English morale.


But back to the Bard's original play and the battles portrayed, which all ends up being for naught as we learn in Henry VI (Henry V and Katherine's' son) England loses France once again.

Favorite or Famous Quotes:
II.1
Nym:"...I have an humour to knock you indifferently well.
If you grow foul with me,...I will scour you with my rapier, as I may,
in fair terms; if you would walk off I would prick your guts a little..."

II.4.
Dauphin: "Self-love,..is not so vile a sin
as self-neglecting."


III.1.
King Henry: "Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;"

IV.3.
King Henry: "...From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered - 
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;"


IV.7
Fluellen: "...It is not well done, mark you now, to take the 
tales out of my mouth ere it is made and finished."


IV.1.
Williams: "...I am afeard there are few die
well that die in a battle; for how can they charitably dispose 
of anything when blood is their argument?"



No comments:

Post a Comment