Thursday, December 31, 2020

 The Two Noble Kinsmen by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare Project 2020

It is bittersweet, this the last of Shakespeare's plays! I'm so glad that I really enjoyed this one.

Two cousins are the best of friends  until they espy a beautiful woman and then well, they vow to fight each other to the death to win her. Oh and the jailer's daughter goes mad over her unrequited love.

I.5
Third Queen: "This world's a city full of straying streets,
And death's the market-place where each one meets."


How's that BFF thing going?

II.2.
Palamon: "I do not think it possible our friendship
Should ever leave us."

***
Arcite: "I will not, as you do, to worship her
As she is heavenly and a blessed goddess.
I love her as a woman, to enjoy her.
So both may love."

***
Palamon: "Friendship, blood,
And all the times between us I disclaim
If thou once think upon her."

But the battle must be legit!

III.6
Palamon: "I would have nothing hurt thee but my sword.
A bruise would be dishonor."


The BFFs prayed to the respective god/goddess (Mars & Venus) and got exactly what they wished:

IV.4
Theseus: "The powerful Venus well hath graced her altar,
And given you [Palamon] your love. Our master, Mars,
Hath vouched his oracle, and to Arcite gave
The grace of the contention."

***
Palamon:"That we should things desire which do cost us
The loss of our desire, that naught could buy
Dear love but loss of dear love."




No comments:

Post a Comment