Thursday, January 30, 2020

The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde

Oldest on TBR

Years ago I gave the Thursday Next series a try and I think I gave up too soon! I deviled back into Mr. Fforde's works with the 1st in the 2 part series of the nursery crimes. It was a cracking good time! I poached my scrambled memory of childhood nursery rhymes and fairy tales throughout the entire novel and marveled at Fforde's egg-cellent imagination.

Quirky and fun and has me looking forward to not only the 2nd course - The Fourth Bear, but also yolks me into trying the Thursday Next series again!

Summary from Goodreads: Humpty Stuyvesant Van Dumpty III, minor baronet, ex-convict, and former millionaire philanthropist, is found shattered to death beneath a wall in a shabby area of town. All the evidence points to his ex-wife, who has conveniently shot herself.

But Detective Inspector Jack Spratt and his assistant Mary Mary remain unconvinced,  though still smarting over their failure to convict the Three Pigs of murdering Mr. Wolff. Before long Jack and Mary find themselves grappling with a sinister plot involving cross-border money laundering, bullion smuggling, beanstalks, titans seeking asylum, and the cut and thrust world of international chiropody.

Quotes:  "I collect ex-boyfriends."

"...[he] might have been a life raft of normality that she could somehow cling to for sanity..."

"We're pressured to expend so much money and effort to be the 'perfect' shape, when that shape is physically attainable by only one woman in a million.  It's the cold face of capitalism...preying on misguided expectations."

No comments:

Post a Comment