Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney

Guilty Pleasure

Warning:  Unless you can finish this book before going to bed, do not read it if you are a long-suffering insomniac (such as me) or really if you need to sleep at all or if you must work the next morning!

I went to bed with about 50 pages left to finish in the book (this was my 1st mistake). I had a typical night of insomnia and was too tired to actually get up, turn on lights, etc. (this was my 2nd mistake) so I tried to refocus my mind and fall asleep (HA!). My mind had other plans (insert diabolical laugh) - such as trying to figure out the complex mystery of Sometimes I Lie. About 3:00 a.m. I was sure I had it solved!! When I arose at 6:30 a.m. I promptly made coffee and settled in to finish the book and see if my middle of the night deductions were correct (even though I should have been getting ready to go to work). The first sentence I read confirmed that I had solved NOTHING in my tossing & turning!! WHAT? WHO? WHAT (again)?

I was a little frustrated throughout the book, but probably because I knew there was a major twist at the end so I was being hyper-vigilant in my reading trying to figure it out instead of just sitting back and letting the story unfold. Though it unfolds like a well-crafted piece of origami; so the reader thinks they are looking at a traditional paper crane but discovers it really is an elaborate paper dragon - good luck not getting paper cuts!!

Summary from Goodreads:  Amber wakes up in a hospital. She can’t move. She can’t speak. She can’t open her eyes. She can hear everyone around her, but they have no idea. Amber doesn’t remember what happened, but she has a suspicion her husband had something to do with it. Alternating between her paralyzed present, the week before her accident, and a series of childhood diaries from twenty years ago, this brilliant psychological thriller asks: Is something really a lie if you believe it's the truth?

Quotes: "Celebrity ceases to impress when you subtract humility."

"There are different kinds of love - one word could never accurately describe them all.  Some are easier to feel than others, some are more dangerous."

"Some people appear happy on the outside and you only know they're broken inside if you listen as well as look."



No comments:

Post a Comment