Friday, January 24, 2020

Henry VI, Part 2 by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare 2020 Project

Now we get to see King Henry the VI in all his, um, glory? Poor King Henry - who just wants everyone to get along and can't make a decision for himself let alone his realm! I think he would pull a Harry & Megan if he could and flee England!
    "Was never subject long'd to be a king
      As do I long and wish to be a subject."

But alas, he wears the crown. Though there are plenty who think he shouldn't and that the crown rightfully belongs to them instead.  So, let the fighting began! Even between the ladies! The Duchess to the Queen:
     "Could I come near your beauty with my nails,
      I could set my ten commandments in your face"

And all the beheadings!!  It was like Lewis Carroll's Queen of Hearts was in town!

Yet one famous line I myself have uttered (as a paralegal for 25 years) was when villainous Jack Cade is proclaiming all the rights he will bestow under his reign as King, a loyal commoner shouts:
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers!"  LOL!

Part 2 ends with a good ole cliff hanger with the King fleeing for his life!

No comments:

Post a Comment