Thursday, August 2, 2018

           Unorthodox -   Deborah Feldman

                      "U" - Author

I really wanted to like this book.  Two of my friends raved about it but unfortunately I did not end up liking it.

Deborah was a member of a sect of the Hasidic Jews in New York.   It was interesting to learn of their traditions and many of their rituals, of how Deborah was controlled by those traditions and the rules women had to follow.

Deborah questioned many of the rules of her faith . Why couldn't she learn English, why couldn't she read books and go to college.?  And why did she have to get married at the age of 17? Just to name a few.

For me, the writing style was immature and whiny at times.  She also left many unanswered questions of my own.  Maybe she should have waited a few more years before telling her story, as interesting as it was.

                                     #2018atozchallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment