Saturday, March 24, 2018

To Fetch a Thief by Spencer Quinn

Series

The problems with me and series....1.  Once I start one I usually have to finish them even if my interest starts to wane.  2.  I can't read them back to back to back so it can take me months/years to complete a series.

This is one of those that I started and the first book was fun and light and I thought that it would be an enjoyable series to follow.   Well, this is book 3 of 8 and they are terribly, terribly redundant!  Not in a typical genre "you know how it will end" redundancy, but Chet (the canine narrator) who repeats himself over and over again and admittedly does so!  At first it seemed kinda humorous but by book 3 I'm so over it.

So, I suppose it's good for me to have my second problem of not being able to read a series one book after another because I would SO not recommend that with this repetitive series. 

I tried to simply focus on the plot of the story which involves a missing elephant (I always love a good elephant story) and for the most part it was an okay mystery.  I will continue the series as we already purchased them all, but I can't say I'm wagging my tail about it.

Quotes:  "He has a way of saying just oh sometimes when he's talking to women, maybe a thing I've mentioned already.  If I did, did I also point out its never a good sign?"

"...easy to tell from that barroom smell, which I must have described already, probably more than once..."
[Yes Chet, you have!  See what I mean!]

No comments:

Post a Comment