Thursday, March 15, 2018

Song of a Captive Bird by Jasmin Darznik

PageHabit Subscription - February - Historical Fiction

2018 A to Z Challenge - "S"

Author Jasmin Darznik does an amazing job of weaving the true life of poet Forugh Farrokhzad with her actual writings and a fictional story to allow you to tap into the emotion of this extraordinary woman.

The oppression and repression that continues in so many countries to women specifically is heartbreaking yet women like Forugh not only fight against it, but do so without a desire to escape their homelands.  The love of country is so profound even when the men of their country often betray them.

Quotes: "He was twenty-six years old, an age at which a young woman would have long since been declared torshideh, or pickled.  But for a man it was, of course, different; he could defer marriage for as long as he could deflect his mother's appeals.

"One after the other, the married women holding the canopy stepped forward and took turns rubbing a cone of salt against a cone of sugar to symbolize how sadness and joy, the two constants of life, merged in marriage."

"Because I was a woman, they wanted to silence the screams on my lips and stifle the breath in my lungs.  But I couldn't stay quiet.  I couldn't pretend to be modest or pure or good.  No.  I was a women and I couldn't speak with the voice of a man, because it was not my voice - not true and not my own.  But there was more to it than that.  By writing in a women's voice I wanted to say that a woman, too, is a human being.  To say that we, too, have the right to breath, to cry out and to sing."

"'Well,....it doesn't matter. My feelings aren't enough to persuade him to make some sort of change.'  Her answer was quick. 'They should be,'"

"As if poetry could be destroyed like a building or a body.  But art wasn't like that.  Art could survive; even when suppressed, even when outlawed, it could survive far worse fates than fire."



#2018AtoZChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment