Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Visitors by Catherine Burns

PageHabit Subscription - September - Mystery

2018 A to Z Challenge - "V"


What a strange book.  A bit gothic mystery, though I would probably categorize it horror/mystery?

I can't say I disliked the book, but I'm also not ready to say I liked it either.  Unfortunately the ending left me disappointed so I'm giving the book an "ok" rating.

While I liked some of Burns descriptive writing, none of the characters were very likable (which isn't always the sign of a badly written book), though you could find some empathy for the protagonist, Marion.

While it wasn't an edge of your seat thriller, the book read well and you certainly wanted to discover the creepy secret within.  Burns did keep you guessing with back and forth from the present situation to the backstory of the two siblings.  Even more distributing is the fact that the author created some of the plot from true crime stories.

Not a bad read - a disturbing and, as one reviewer said a "slow burn", with a not-quite-what-I-hoped-for ending.

#2018AtoZChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment