Thursday, May 18, 2017

Wicked by Gregory Maguire

2017 Reading Challenge - Read a Book You've Read Before

This month's challenge was really hard for me, as I rarely re-read books (I have TOO many books I've not read once!).  I didn't want to pick an all-time favorite (almost any Jodi Picoult, Language of Flowers, Me and Emma), nor an easy read such as Patterson or Clark, but something that I could glean new thoughts, feelings, etc. with a second reading.  I toyed with re-reading a classic, something I'd read in my undergrad years, but nothing was speaking to me.

As I perused my shelves my eyes alighted upon Wicked by Gregory Maguire.  Not only had I read it before and enjoyed it, but I've also met the author, had my books (yes, I own quite a few of his) signed and have seen the musical.  I didn't recall everything about the book, but I did remember it being rather complex, so this seemed a perfect re-read for me!  And my witch bookmark is a perfect accompaniment!!

  I love the humanizing of the "evil" character of the Wicked Witch from the much loved movie "Wizard of Oz" (I never have read the books by L.F.B.), discovering the Wicked Witch of the East and seeing the tarnished crown of Glinda, the "Good" Witch.

And what a time to re-read this novel full of politics, oppression and resistance in the world of a tyrant leader; religious conflicts - too much faith, not enough faith and can you have a soul if you don't believe in an "unnamed god"; the question of what is evil and from where does it come, are some just born bad?  Good or bad - are we truly free to make our own choices in life or are we led to our choices by others?

I'm so thankful for this challenge that took me back to Maguire's complex, at times disturbing, but thought-provoking land of Oz!!

No comments:

Post a Comment