Saturday, May 20, 2017

The Mysteries of Pittsburgh by Michael Chabon

2017 Reading Challenge - Read a book that is set within 100 miles of your location.

Since I live 13 miles from a big city (Pittsburgh), this challenge proved to be fairly easy to find a book, as there are a handful of novels set in Pittsburgh.  I've read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay and enjoyed that one so I was looking forward to reading another Chabon.  Unfortunately, I cared less for this one, his first novel.

It is a coming of age novel, and while I appreciate the time period in which the novel was first published (1988) and the introduction of a homosexual character, I never really connected to any of the characters and their struggles.

With just shy of 300 pages it was a quick and fairly easy read, and I enjoyed recognizing streets and landmarks mentioned throughout the book, but I can't say that any of the characters will live with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment