Saturday, May 6, 2017

Amberlough by Lara Elena Donnelly

BooklyBox Subscription - March - Historical Fiction

This was my first book from the new monthly book subscription that Book Worm and I started getting.  There was a mix-up in the mailing so I received the historical fiction while Book Worm received the literary fiction.

Though, at first I wasn't sure I had in fact received the historical fiction.  Even after reading it, I feel it is a loose interpretation of "historical fiction".  Typically the author takes either a character, event, or time in history and builds up around it to give the reader a personal connection or investment into that history.  This book created an entirely fictional world (place, political parties, etc.) that was suppose to slightly resemble Germany and the Weimer Republic.

Unfortunately I didn't enjoy this book on many levels, besides the fact that it didn't fit my bill of being historical fiction - the language was difficult - the author using what I can only surmise is a British terminology, the gratuitous sex scenes (I'm not a prude, but if I want that in my reading I will seek out that kind of book) and maybe because of the difficult political climate we are currently living under - I struggled with this central theme.

On a positive note, Donnelly did have some beautifully descriptive language that truly painted a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment