Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Dinner by Herman Koch

New Author

I don't want to say too much about this book because part of the reading enjoyment is wondering what happened and the anticipation of what they are going to do about it.  While I thoroughly enjoyed reading the book, at times I couldn't put it down (dare I say I "devoured" it), I am disturbed by the characters.

It is not a book that you can put down and walk away from for days at a time, as there are a lot of flash backs to tell the complete story.

I didn't mark any notable quotes, but the book makes you think about what a parent's role is to their child/children.  You are their protector, but to what extent?  Isn't your role also to instill morals and values into your child/children, to teach them responsibility for their actions, to foresee, understand and accept the consequences of their actions?  Or does a parent protect their child/children, at any cost, forever?

No comments:

Post a Comment