Friday, December 26, 2014

Starvation Lake by Bryan Gruley

Debut Novel

I can't say I was overly impressed with this debut mystery novel.  Nothing against Mr. Gruley, whom I had the pleasure of meeting at a book signing in Salem, MA., but I felt the book was often times repetitive (facts repeated even though I read them just 10 pages ago) and simplistic.  It took a while for the plot to unfold, even though I had figured out quite a bit of it early on, and then some loose ends where quickly tied together at the end (i.e. Detroit court order).

On a positive side, I did like the small town feel of the story and it's not too often you find hockey so central in a book - I'm not a HUGE fan, but can figure my way through an NHL game, so I found some of the hockey parts interesting.

Not sure I feel compelled to read the next two (2) books in the series though.

No comments:

Post a Comment