Thursday, December 11, 2014

March by Geraldine Brooks


Historical Fiction

A fantastic book.  Could be because I'm biased toward historical fiction, biased towards "Little Women" or biased towards Civil War themes!!

Brooks does a fantastic job of bringing Mr. March to life in his imagined place in the reality of the Civil War.  I'm drawn to books about the War, possibly because I have the opportunity to visit the places mentioned, but I think more because I value the stories of the strength and fortitude of the slaves themselves and the abolitionists who fought for their freedom.  This book had that and more!  Plus Brooks has a beautiful style of writing and prose.

Quotes: "I've always imagined paradise as something like a library"

"...so there is a union at last, a united states of pain."

"I had learned the meteorology of Marmee's temper:  the plunging air pressure as a black cloud gathered, blotting out the radiance of her true nature; the noisy thunder of her rage; and finally the relief of a wild and heavy rain - tears, as copious cataracts, followed by a slew of resolutions to reform.  But the dark cast of her expression told me we were still within the thunderhead..."

No comments:

Post a Comment