Monday, August 11, 2014

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig

20th Century

I've wanted to read this book for years and while I'm glad I can finally cross it off my list, I can't say I enjoyed the book.  I did enjoy the portion of the story that was the motorcycle trip (makes me want to fulfill the item on my bucket list of learning to drive a motorcycle), as well as the relationship between Chris and his dad.  I did glean some inspirational gems from the philosophical aspects but most of the time I was just lost.  When Pirsig got into the history of philosophy I felt it was incredibly rushed and I lost interest quickly.
Some of the gems I gleaned:

"Government...is sustained by structural relationships even when they have lost all other meaning and purpose....the system demands it and no one is willing to take on the formidable task of changing the structure just because it is meaningless"

"You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in...When people are fanatically dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kinds of dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or goals are in doubt."

"...it's also a brand-new person who's been renewing himself continually and I'm going to have to get to know him all over again"

"You want to know how to paint a perfect painting?  It's easy.  Make yourself perfect and then just paint naturally."

No comments:

Post a Comment