Sunday, January 24, 2021

 At the Edge of the Orchard by Tracy Chevalier

Monopoly Book Challenge - Indiana Avenue - Book in which a character is a farmer, gardener or gardens as a hobby.
Historical Fiction

I selected this book for the Monopoly Book Challenge as it was touted to be a historical fiction about Johnny Appleseed. John Chapman (a/k/a Johnny Appleseed) does make an appearance, but he is not a central figure in the book. I would say that it was more a book about the historical figure of William Lobb. Even so, it fit the challenge with orchards, gardens, tree planting, farming, etc.

I struggled at first as the early characters of James and Sadie Goodenough were so unlikeable, but I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. As we went from Black Swamp, Ohio to California. From apple trees in the midwest to the redwoods and sequoias of the west.

There was even some suspensefulness written in.  Exactly Why was Robert running from Ohio???


No comments:

Post a Comment