Tuesday, January 19, 2021

 Fever by Mary Beth Keane

New Author

I was hesitant about reading this book about Typhoid Mary while living through a historic pandemic, as I didn't want to add to the anxiety, despair, depression that this year+ long pandemic has wrought. But it was actually interesting to read it during this time.

I had of course heard of the term "Typhoid Mary" but I knew nothing about the real woman. While I appreciated learning about Mary and discovering (or re-discovering) some of the history of NYC (sanitation,  General Slocum disaster, Triangle Shirtwaist Fire, etc.), I do wish the author had spent less time developing the fictionalized love interest, Alfred.

Overall the book was just so-so for me. I do have another book by Ms. Keane (Ask Again, Yes) that has gotten many good reviews. I hope to enjoy it better.


No comments:

Post a Comment