Friday, November 13, 2020

 The Merry Wives of Windsor

Shakespeare Project 2020

After the "problem plays" (i.e. the unfunny comedies), it was quite the joy to return to comedic, bawdy Shakespeare!

The fun cast of characters: portly Falstaff, crack-myself-up Mistress Quickly, Clouseau-like Doctor Caius and the conniving Mistresses Ford and Page!

I.1
Slender:"...for though I cannot remember what I did when you made me drunk, yet I am not altogether an ass."
I.4
Caius:"...by gar it is a shallenge; I will cut his troat in de park; and I will teach a scurvy jack-a-nape priest to meddle or make....By gar, I will cut all his two stones; by gar, he shall not have a stone to throw at his dog."


II.2.
Pistol: "Why, then the world's mine oyster."


III.4.
Anne: "Alas, I had rather be set quick i' th' earth.
And bowl'd to death with turnips."


III.5.
Falstaff: "The rogues slighted me into the river...and you may know by my size that I have a kind of alacrity in sinking; if the bottom were as deep as hell I should down."


No comments:

Post a Comment