Thursday, November 26, 2020

 King Henry IV, Part 2 by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare Project 2020

The saga continues  - will Hal continue to hang with the wrong crowd, getting into mischief or will he begin acting in a more princely manner?

Will the rebels defeat the current reign?

Will Falstaff ever pay back his debts or join AA?



Some of my favorite quotes:

I.1
Northumberland: "Yet the first bringer of unwelcome news
Hath but a losing office, and his tongue
Sounds ever after as a sullen bell,
Rememb'red tolling a departing friend."


I.2
Chief Justice: "Well, the truth is, Sir John, you live in great infamy."
Falstaff: "He that buckles himself in my belt cannot live in less."
Chief Justice: "You're means are very slender, and your waste is great."
Falstaff: "I would it were otherwise; I would my means
were greater and my waist slenderer."


II.1
Page: "Away, you scullion! you rampallian! you fustilarian!
I'll tickle your catastrophe."

III.1
King: "...O sleep, O gentle sleep,
Nature's soft nurse, how have I frightened thee,
That thou no more will weigh my eyelids down,
And steep my sense in forgetfulness?"

IV.1
Westmoreland: "..You, Lord Archbishop,...very blessed spirit of peace - 
Wherefore you do so ill translate yourself
Out of the speech of peace, that bears such grace,
Into the harsh and boist'rous tongue of war?
Turning your books into graves, your ink to blood,
Your pens to lances, and your tongue divine 
To a loud trumpet and a point of war?"


No comments:

Post a Comment