Thursday, July 23, 2020

Shylock is My Name by Howard Jacobson

An adaptation follow-up to the Merchant of Venice. I spent much of the time confused as all get out! There was a Shylock, who ironically gives a mercy speech; a Simon Strulovitch who was the portrayal of Shylock; a Beatrice who is a character in a completely different Shakespearean play and references to Lorenzo, Antonio, Tubal from the play that this Shylock interacted with but weren't actually in this novel, but wait was Shylock actually Tubal to Strulovitch??

And don't get me started on the penises! I learned more about circumcision than I EVER wanted to know!

I did mark some quotes that I appreciated despite the novel being a bust for me.

Quotes: "'Their argument with us is whatever will serve their purpose at any given moment. They don't know what it is they can't abide, only that they can't.'"

"...in the outrage of loss, objects and people lose their delineation. The robbed commonly speak of violation, feeling the theft of things as keenly as an attack on their person."

"'The habit of conscientiousness in itself ministers to goodness.'"

"...when she can bring her new boyfriend round for me to vet. To vet? You get to examine him like a dog?'"

"'...there's no violence a man is not capable of when he believes he is acting as God would have him act.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment