Friday, November 22, 2019

The Next Queen of Heaven by Gregory Maguire

2019 A to Z Challenge - "X"

This felt less like a Gregory Maguire novel and more like Christopher Moore one.  The characters were beyond quirky (some likable, others not so much), the humor was wry and I got to the end thinking, What?  At times it was laugh out loud funny, at other times I was rolling my eyes at the juvenile language and actions.  I didn't dislike it, but I'm not sure I can say I like it.

Summary from Fantastic Fiction: With the new millennium approaching, the eccentric town of Thebes grows even stranger.  Mrs. Leontina Scales begins speaking in tongues after being clocked by a Catholic statuette.  Her daughter, Tabitha, and her sons scheme to save their mother or surrender her to Jesus - whatever comes first.  Meanwhile, choir director Jeremy Carr, caught between lust and ambition, fumbles his way toward Y2K.  The ancient Sisters of the Sorrowful Mysteries join with a gay singing group. The Radical Radiants battle the Catholics.  A Christmas pageant goes horribly awry.  And a child is born.

Quotes:  "...why do the living adopt such a giddy tone when referring to the dead?  As if there's escape for any of us. Is it anything other than black humor, the glib callow relief of being alive still?"

"'I hate New Year's Eve. One more chance to remember that you haven't yet done what you wanted.  And to pretend it doesn't matter.'"


No comments:

Post a Comment