Saturday, April 27, 2019

The Tattooed Girl by Joyce Carol Oates

"O" Author

2019 A to Z Challenge - "T"

What an odd story.  A bit sexually crude at times, a bit suspenseful, and when you thought it was going to make a turn one way it did the opposite, especially the ending.  I think the summary (see below) hyped up the book a bit "the most dangerous adventure" - adventure is a stretch.

This book has been on my shelf for years.  I've been a bit intimidated by Oates as her reputation precedes her in the literary genre.  Having majored in English, I feel compelled to read some of the heavier literary authors, but am all too often stymied by them.  This novel wasn't as obtuse as other literary giants have penned, but I can't say I became a fan of Oates.  I do have another on my shelf, "The Falls", which I am intrigued by, but I doubt I will rush to read any other prior novels by her.

Book summary (from Goodreads): Joshua Seigl, a celebrated but reclusive author, is forced for reasons of failing health to surrender his bachelor's independence.  Advertising for an assistant, he embarks upon the most dangerous adventure of his privileged life.  Alma Busch, a sensuous, physically attractive young woman with bizarre tattoos covering much of her body, stirs in Seigl a complex of emotions.  Unaware of her painful past and her troubled personality, Seigl hires her as his assistant; the naive altruism of the one and the virulent anti-Semitism of the other clash in tragedy.

No comments:

Post a Comment