Monday, April 22, 2019

The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo

Series

Well, all I can really say is that I'm glad that's over (though really it's not...the story continues - UGH).  I can't say for sure what was dragging this book down for me; the Norwegian names (don't confuse Gudeson with Gudbrand or Sindre with Signe or Sverre), the multiple plot lines of murder and hidden identities, the political story line (though I was surprised to learn about the extent of Norway's involvement in WWII) or simply Nesbo's verbosity.  Suffice it to say this was not a favorite or mine.  I do enjoy Harry and there are times the novel piqued my interest, but only to bog it down again a couple pages later.  Of course, I can't give up on this series now - 1) because I already feel guilty about giving up on my last series of choice (Chet & Bernie) and 2) a plot line in this one continues into Nemesis, so I HAVE to read it to find out what happens!!

Here's a brief synopsis (per Goodreads):  A novel of war, love and betrayal that stretches from the Russian Front (WWII) to present-day Oslo. Harry Hole begins to piece together the threads of:  threats of violence on Norway's Independence Day, the illegal importation of a rifle favored by assassins and a murder committed outside a pizza parlor frequented by neo-Nazis.

Quotes:  "It's not about being judges of life and death, but about giving a belief in justice back to ordinary people.  Sometimes it takes the death penalty to give them that belief."

"It's an historian's duty to uncover, not to judge....Many people believe that right and wrong are fixed absolutes.  That is incorrect, they change over time."

"Is he a sick man,...?  Sick is a relative concept.  We're all sick.  The question is, what degree of functionality do we have with respect to the rules society sets for desirable behavior?"

"Who is to say what is true or real, moral or immoral?  Psychologists? Courts of Law? Politicians?"

No comments:

Post a Comment