Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Guilty Pleasure
2018 A to Z Challenge - February Mini Challenge - Second Chances Love Story


I again rolled my eyes at a "love story" challenge and turned to Goodread's Lists to see if there was possibly a book on my non-romance bookshelves that could meet this challenge.  And there it was, the book that has been on my end-table TBR (not to be confused with my bedside table TBR, my bookshelves TBR, my monthly book box TBR, my stack-on-the floor TBR). 

A friend loaned this book to me so I looked at it often, wanting to read it so I could return it and quit feeling guilty (as she has borrowed and return many of my books in the time period that I've had this book), but I knew enough about it that I knew I had to be in a "this book will rip your heart out" mood to read it.

Nothing like a challenge to get you to steel yourself for an emotional read!  I did make sure that as I got closer to the end that I would be at home and not in public for the inevitable ugly cry that would ensue.  Yet, I did not find myself sobbing uncontrollably, albeit I did have to have a box of tissues and I had to put the book down as I could not see through the tears.  Now, I'm not totally heartless (you should see the tears I've been shedding during these Winter Olympics - winners, losers, you name it I'm crying), but I think the humor that was throughout this book prevented me from wallowing in the sorrow of it, even though I was taken by surprise - No Spoilers for those who have not read it.

While my life has not been touched by childhood cancer, I thought Green did an amazing job of writing for so many perspectives of those affected by the non-discriminating illness and the struggle of teenagers and parents of teenagers who are faced with an already trying time layered with the complexities of mortality.

Quotes: "It took me a sleeve of Girl Scout Thin Mints and forty minutes to get over that boy."

"And in freedom, mot people find sin."

"You have a choice in this world, I believe, about how to tell sad stores, and we made the funny choice"

"I thought being an adult meant knowing what you believe, but that has not been my experience."


#atozminiChallenge

No comments:

Post a Comment