Saturday, September 2, 2017

Wonder Woman, Vol. 2:  Love and Murder by Jodi Picoult

2017 Reading Challenge - Read a Superhero Comic with a Female Lead.

I was glad this was a challenge topic as I wanted to read Jodi Picoult's issue of Wonder Woman, but I never got around to it when it first came out and since comics aren't really my thing I never really found any other reason to be inspired to pick it up....until now.

I've learned that comics still are not my thing.  They weren't when I was a beginning reader or through my teens or now.  Even venturing into comics and graphic novels through this challenge, it's just not my thing.  Yet, I can appreciate the challenge an author has in trying to tell their story in this format and the artwork, illustrations - mind blowing.  Such amazing talent!!

While I didn't grow up reading comics, I did grow up watching Super Friends in which Wonder Woman was my favorite (though I did crush on Superman and Aquaman) and of course I adored Lynda Carter as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman.  Add Jodi Picoult who is one of my all time favorite authors and of course this was a perfect comic for me to read for this challenge!!  Picoult again brought her humor, her insight, her strong female characters and her moral questions to this issue of Wonder Woman.  Did she inspire me to want to start a comic book collection?  Subscribe to each new action packed issue?  Um, no, but I'm glad I finally did read her version (and only the 2nd woman to write for Wonder Woman) of one of the first female superheros, paving the way for those more recent fierce females inspiring strength and confidence in today's girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment