Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Last Runaway by Tracy Chevalier

Historical Fiction

I probably was expecting too much out of Chevalier's latest novel because I so adored her previous novels.  Not to say this one was bad; it just wasn't AS good as the others.

Even if it wasn't my favorite, it was still a good historical fiction read covering the Underground Railroad in Ohio (my home state!) and the Quaker faith.  I would have liked to have learned more about the Railroad, but instead the story focused on one Quaker, Honor, and the dilemmas she faces during a tense and difficult time.

Sadly, even though the time period of the novel is nineteenth century, so much of the racism and discrimination still takes place in our twenty-first century world.  Nothing saddens me more than seeing people (sometimes even those I care about) who treat others as less than the human beings we all equally are.

Quote: “...everyone has a measure of Light in them and though the amount can vary, all must try to live up to their measure.”

No comments:

Post a Comment