Friday, May 14, 2021

 

     The Yellow Wife - Sadeqa Johnson                                                                                               (HF)

2021monopolychallenge - New York Ave.-title starts with "Y"

An historical account of Lumpkin's Jail on the Devil's Half Acre in Richmond Va. and the "mistress" of the jail., A slave woman owner by the Jailer..  The jail was for runaway slaves or black men, women and children being put up for auction.

I always hate to say I have enjoyed a book about slavery because it was such a horrible time in our history, but I do enjoy reading a book that I makes me feel for the characters.  This is such a book.   I have visited the area of Devil's Half Acre so I was able to visualize this area. None of the buildings are standing but there is a plaque telling about the jail. 
   So an interesting read but I felt that the end was rushed.  I was left with questions. 

Goodreads:
A young female slave is sold to a married man who intends to start a family with her, even as he manages the particularly cruel estate, the Devil's Half Acre, where thousands of black people are beaten, broken, and sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment