Friday, March 27, 2020

The Two Gentlemen of Verona by William Shakespeare

Shakespeare Project 2020

I have to say this was not one of my favorites. I heard it appropriately described as a soap opera! While I was unfamiliar with it, I was surprised to learn that I actually had heard parts of it from the movie, Shakespeare in Love! 

So we have Proteus and Valentine - the ultimate bromance:
Act II, Scene 4
Valentine: I knew him as myself; for from our infancy
We have convers'd and spent our hours together.

But Proteus violates the Bro Code when he turns down Valentine's offer to go on a (bro)adtrip to Milan stating that he is madly in love with Julia and can't leave her.

Though Proteus' dad thinks he's too young to settle down and should explore the world so he sends him off to join Valentine.
Meanwhile Valentine (who once scoffed at love) has fallen madly in love with Silvia (though his servant sees him just as foolish as Valentine once thought Proteus).
Act II, Scene 1
Valentine: Why, how know you that I am in love?
Speed (Valentine's servant): Marry, by these special marks:... to relish a love-song, like a robin redbreast; to walk alone, like one that had the pestilence; to sigh, like a school-boy that had lost his A B C; to weep, like a young wench that had buried her grandam; to fast, like one that takes diet...
now you are metamorphis'd with a mistress, that, when I look on you, I can hardly think you my master.
***
Speed:...you, being in love, cannot see to put on your hose.
Valentine: Belike, boy, then you are in love; for last morning you could not see to wipe my shoes.
Speed: True, sir; I was in love with my bed.
***
Speed:...'Tis dinner time.
Valentine: I have din'd.
Speed: ...though the chameleon Love can feed on the air, I am one that am nourish'd by my victuals, and would fain have meat.

Proteus arrives in Milan, reunites with his bro, Valentine, meets Silvia and immediately falls in love with her completely dismissing his love for Julia and begins to plot how he will steal her from his best bud!

Act II, Scene 4
Proteus: Even as one heat another heat expels

Or as one nail by strength drives out another,
So the remembrance of my former love
Is by a newer object quite forgotten....
Methinks my zeal to Valentine is cold,
And that I love him not as I was wont.
O! but I love his lady too too much,
And that's the reason I love him so little.

Meanwhile Julia has no clue of Proteus' deceit and she decides to disguise herself as a page boy and surprise him in Milan:
Act II, Scene 7
Julia: But truer stars did govern Proteus' birth;
His words are bonds, his oaths are oracles,
His love sincere, his thoughts immaculate,
His tears pure messengers sent from his heart,
His heart as far from fraud as heaven from earth.

Julia arrives in Milan disguised only to find herself being Proteus' wing-man to win over Silvia! Yet, Silvia is disgusted by Proteus and wants nothing to do with him:

Act IV, Scene 2
Silvia: You have your wish; my will is even this,

That presently you hie you home to bed.
Thou subtle, perjur'd, false, disloyal man,
Think'st thou I am so shallow, so conceitless,
To be seduced by thy flattery
That hast deceiv'd so many with thy vows?

When Proteus gets mad and tries to force himself on Silvia, Valentine comes out of the shadows to stop him and admonishes his pal:
Act V, Scene 4
Valentine: ...Who should be trusted, when one's own right hand
Is perjured to the bosom? Proteus,
I am sorry I must never trust thee more,
But count the world a stranger for thy sake.
The private wound is deepest. O time most accurst!
'Mongst all foes that a friend should be the worst!

Proteus begs forgiveness, which Valentine grants immediately and offers up Silvia (seriously?!?)
Act V, Scene 4
Valentine: All that was mine in Silvia I give thee.



But then Julia reveals herself, and Proteus professes his love for her:
Act V, Scene 4

Proteus:...O heaven, were man
But constant, he were perfect! That one error
Fills him with faults; makes him run through all th' sins:
Inconstancy falls off ere it begins.
What is in Silvia's face but I may spy
More fresh in Julia's with a constant eye?

And then they have a duel wedding!

Yeah, basically a soap opera!

No comments:

Post a Comment