Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Glass Ocean by Beatriz Williams, Lauren Willig and Karen White

New Author(s)
Once Upon a Book Club - September 2018
2019 August Motif - Mode of Transportation

An historical mystery fiction novel about the sinking of the Lusitania told in 3 different perspectives: 1 from a present day author and 2 from 1915 aboard the Lusitania.

This book seemed right up my alley and I did start out REALLY liking this book and then it turned all Hallmark Movie on me!

This was the paragraph that had me gagging about 1/2 way through the book:

"In [his] absence, the folly took on an uncanny silence...I couldn't get used to the stillness, the vacuum he left behind.  Everywhere I looked, I saw a hole where he should have been.  The desk. The sofa. The rug where he lay yesterday evening during a break..."

Mind you, she met this guy a week ago and he had only stepped into another room!!!, for God's sake!

And another swooning moment:  "'I've been in love with you from the moment I first saw you.  I've tried to stop, but I can't.  I just can't seem to accept that I will have to spend the rest of my life loving you from afar.'"  Puhleez!

Oh and yes, there is a typical Hallmark plot twist - oh no!

Cheesy romance sections aside, I enjoyed the authors' format of the 3 women and the 2 different time frames.  The mystery angle was based on some of the conspiracy theories of that fatal sailing of the Lusitania.  It kept you guessing, even if I did get a bit confused (no, not because my heart was aflutter) by some of the spy aspects, which could have been fleshed out a bit more.

While I don't think I will be picking up any individual novels by any of Team W or their other collaboration novel, I will be putting the non-fiction (and less bosom-heaving romance) telling of the Lusitania -  Dead Wake by Erik Larson - near the top of my TBR. 

Quotes:  "Shelves and shelves, lining six of the octagons's walls, each one crammed with books at all angles, bent with books to its absolute maximum capacity." (My idea of heaven!)

"'It's easy to love someone you can't have.  There's no risk in it.'"

"'Oh, but it's never a question of what we deserve,....  It's a question of what we can bear.'"


No comments:

Post a Comment