Thursday, July 11, 2019

The Absence of Mercy by John Burley

Guilty Pleasure
2019 A to Z Challenge - "A"

Ooof, I so struggled with this book!! It was a quick read and it uses Pittsburgh as part of the location and was quite accurate with streets, places, etc. which I appreciated.  Yet there was a significant distracting error early on referring to the son's sports activity.  I got over that and while there was some beautiful descriptive writing, overall I was still displeased.  The author is an ER physician and got REALLY technical with medical terminology.  While he throws around terms of "acromioclavicular junction", "sternocleidomastoid muscles", and masseteric fascia" without any explanation, he does expound on CODIS - "the acronym that referred to the FBI's Combined DNA Index System".  Anyone who has read a thriller or watched any of the multiple cop shows on TV has heard of CODIS, but unless you are a medical student, I know of few laypeople who know those medical terms.  To me it felt like Dr. Ego was at play here and while it only happened a couple times throughout, it really soured me on the author and his novel.

The mystery plot itself was okay.  I think one may be able to deduce whodunit, but there are red herrings to throw you off.  The ending bothered me quite a bit though.  Overall I was pretty disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment