Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Julie and Julia:  365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen:  How One Girl Risked her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living by Julie Powell

2018 A to Z Challenge - J

Another much anticipated book that languished on my shelves for far too long. This alphabet challenge gave me a reason to advance it to the top of my TBR.

Yet, I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would.  I wasn't expecting Julie to be as sardonic (she's a New Yorker, but via Texas) or whiny (usually in interactions with her husband).  I do think this is her style of humor - a sarcastic, biting humor, but it didn't work for me.

And while I appreciate the carnivore way of using the whole animal - if I wasn't a vegetarian before, I would certainly be after reading detailed preparations about bone marrow, calf liver, brains, kidneys and LIVE lobster killing.

No comments:

Post a Comment