Saturday, December 16, 2017

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan

2017 Reading Challenge - Read a book wherein all point-of-view characters are people of color.

For this challenge I was torn between reading this one or The Mothers by Brit Bennett.  The Mothers is a story with secrets, a suicide, things that "haunt us most" and billed as "an emotionally perceptive story".  I felt that while it may in fact be a great book, I personally needed something lighter.  Crazy Rich Asians was billed as "Rollicking" "Hilarious" "Crazy Fun".  Just what I needed!  I was looking forward to have some laugh-out-loud moments with this book!!

Well, I guess I don't find filthy rich people very funny.  Maybe it's society, maybe its my own growing antimaterialism, maybe it's just the emotional state I am currently in, but not only was I not laughing-out-loud, but for 3/4 of the 500+ page book I was utterly bored and annoyed.  I only committed to finishing it because of this damn challenge; it was the last of the 24 book challenge and I was going to finish it no matter what!

I will give kudos to the final 1/4 of the book.  I adored the main character, Rachel and was rooting for her throughout.  Even my cold black heart was hoping for a romantic, happy-ending (no spoilers) and for long-due karma to befall the many snooty "crazy rich Asians".

The other parts that I enjoyed of this otherwise disappointing novel were the descriptions of Singapore and its food. 

There are two other books in this series and this first one is being made into a movie.  I have no desire to read the sequels and highly doubt I'll make a point of seeing the movie.

Quote:  "Marriage was purely a matter of timing, and whenever a man was finally done sowing his wild oats and read to settle down, whichever girl happened to be there at the time would be the right one."

No comments:

Post a Comment