Saturday, November 18, 2017

A Last Resort by Mark Okrant

2017 Reading Challenge - Read a Book Published by a Micropress.

My family has a friend who had his own publishing company out of Manchester, NH and fortunately I had one of his published books on my bookshelf!

I was rather disappointed by the lack of editing in this book:  Character names changed (Jay to Javy back to Jay), some lines were duplicated, others were missing and some errors were just minor punctuation, but it all distracted me from my reading.

The story itself was ok.  A typical mystery and the author did a good job of introducing characters, creating multiple suspects and keeping the past and present timelines parallel.  I had pretty much figured out the ending, so there was no shocking twist.  At times, I felt Okrant was trying too hard to write:  "Their total lack of amusement at the spectacle I was making of myself made the laughter pour forth in an even more voluminous manner."

While this wasn't Okrant's first book, it's the first in his series with the character Kary Turnell.  There are now a total of 5 in the series.  While I don't think I will read the rest in the series, I do hope the writing and editing has improved!

No comments:

Post a Comment