Friday, November 29, 2013

 he Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers

20th Century

Lonely hunter is right!  Wow, such a sad group of misfits we encounter in this classic first novel by a young author.  As one critic said, "I can't understand how a [22] year old girl can know so much of love and loneliness...".  A movie was made in 1968 based on the novel, but I'm not sure I have the heart to endure the additional sadness on screen.  I enjoyed the book and for the most part it was a quick read, but I was left feeling disheartened and saddened by the choices most of the misfits made.

Quotes from book:
"What is the value of any piece of property, of any merchandise we buy in a store?  The value depends only on one thing - and that is the work it took to make or to raise this article."

"Of all the places he had been this was the loneliest town of all"

No comments:

Post a Comment