Sunday, May 26, 2013

Brick Lane by Monica Ali

"A" Author

I really wanted to like this book, but the entire time I was reading it I just kept thinking that there were so many other books I would rather be reading!  I never connected to any of the characters and the story itself dragged.  I drove through the mundane simply to say I finished the book.  In the attempt to find something worthwhile, I've posted a couple quotes from the book.

QUOTE #1:  "I have given him victory...She felt it a momentous thing.  By raising her hand, or not raising it, she could alter the course of events of affairs in the world of which she knew nothing." (as most voters today, eh?)

QUOTE #2: "Sometimes I look back and I am shocked.  Every day of my life I have prepared for success, worked for it, waited for it, and you don't notice how the days pass until nearly a lifetime has finished.  Then it hits you - the thing you have been waiting for has already gone by.  And it was going  in the other direction.  It's like I've been waiting on the wrong side of the road for bus that was already full."

QUOTE #3: "'...there are two kinds of love.  The kind that starts off big and slowly wears away, that seems you can never use it up and then one day is finished.  And the kind that you don't notice at first, but which adds a little bit to itself every day, like an oyster makes a pearl, grain by grain, a jewel from the sand...All the little irritations...Who would think they could add up to anything?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment