Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Songs for the Missing by Stewart O'Nan


New Author
The best part of this book for me was coming home.  The book takes place in a fictional town in Northeast Ohio.  There were numerous references to the places I grew up in and around:  Perry, Geneva, Ashtabula, Route 7, Route 90, Geauga Lake (riding the Gemini and slapping hands with the neighboring cars!)  While I was expecting this to be more of a suspense novel, the only thing that kept me flipping the pages was to see what "back home" reference I would find.
The characters never got off the page for me, so I had little empathy for them and what they were going through.
I had been wanting to read a Stewart O'Nan and I'm glad I did, and while I'm not giving up him I'm not going to be rushing out to get another one anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment