Friday, September 14, 2012

Gone by Randy Wayne White


It's been a long while since I've read a Doc Ford book, so I can't adequately compare White's previous novels to this one, but I do recall enjoying the Doc Ford series. Sadly, I'm not impressed with his attempt at a female protagonist.

I never felt that he truly got inside the mind of a woman. He wanted her tough, but sexy and she came off flighty instead. The lesbian tangents were completely unnecessary and is more male fantasy than the true thoughts that occupy a woman's mind. Not sure if White is trying to compete with Fifty Shades, but he doesn't need even the illusion of smut in his books.

There was an erratic feel to the book due to the oft abrupt end in the action of lead characters which would be recapped through flashbacks to clue the reader in to what they had missed. It lead to a very disjointed read with the reader always wondering what they missed and how they missed it (I often was flipping back through the book to try to find what I missed only to discover that Hannah would have a flashback in a couple more pages to fill me in.)

While the ending provided some nail biting drama, it sadly wasn't enough to make the entire book an enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment