Sunday, January 14, 2018

Burning Bright by Tracy Chevalier

Historical Fiction
2018 A to Z Challenge - January Mini Challenge - A book you bought based on the cover or author.

"The Girl with the Pearl Earring" was my first Chevalier book and I loved it!  I've since read "Falling Angels", "Remarkable Creatures" and "The Last Runaway" and while I've not loved them as much as the first one, I still enjoy Chevalier's amazing research and the way she weaves a story.  So much so that if I see a new book by her on the horizon I must have it even if I know nothing about the plot!  I just received "At the Edge of the Orchard" for Christmas and it eagerly sits atop my toppling book pile!

"Burning Bright" was a delightful read of some truly lovable characters.  The historical figures of the poet, William Blake and circus owner, Philip Astley (whom I did not know was a real person) were not the main focus, but were colorful and intriguing.  It was the characters of Maggie, Maisie and Jem that the reader is cheer-leading for throughout the book.  Chevalier brings the sights, sounds and smells of 18th Century London to life along with the trials and tribulations of a simpler, but not necessarily easier time.

Quotes: "Neither had much experience with handling books...had never owned a book..."

"Gossip spread quickly...It was a kind of currency, with coins newly minted every hour."

"...his deep sorrow for the death of his brother...of everyone who was lost and would be lost, himself included"


#atozminiChallenge

1 comment: