Friday, January 5, 2018

2018 A - Z Reading Challenge

                                                             
        Beasts of Extraordinary Circumstances  - Ruth Emmie Lang

I wasn't sure that I was going to like this book.  A debut novel being toted as "magical realism" but for me it was a bit more whimsical and the  story line jumps around from character to character and different time periods . That took me a little while to get use to.    However,  I did end up enjoying the book.

I met Weylyn when he is born, opens his eyes and snow falls on the doctor who delivered him.  Weylyn closes his eyes and the snow stops.  Did I mention that he was born in June??   Yes, a strange little boy. 

At an early age he is orphaned and lives with wolves.  Strange things continue to occur whenever he is around.  He seems to be able to converse with animals and has an effect on the weather.

I came to care for Weylyn as he tries to fit in and interact with people.  He really wants to because of a young girl he meets by the name of Mary. I  continue to travel with Weylyn as he grows from young boy to manhood, treating everyone and everything he meets with tenderness and honesty. 









No comments:

Post a Comment